Biomedical Informatics Faculty Position
5 - 7 years experience • Misc. Healthcare
Moffitt Cancer Center is internationally recognized for our focus on personalized cancer care and translational research. The mission of Moffitt is clear, focused, and fully stated in nine words, "To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." With a tradition of excellence that began with the first patient admission in 1986, dedicated Moffitt physicians, scientists, and staff members have remained committed to excellence in an atmosphere characterized by kindness, caring, and hope.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer and Research Institute is a modern facility in Tampa, Florida. We strive to be the leader in understanding in the complexity of cancer through team science and applying those insights for human benefits. Be part of the cure by joining Moffitt's team of 800 research faculty scientists, career staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students and support staff dedicated to cancer research.
- The Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center is seeking a faculty member in the tenure-earning rank of Assistant/Associate Member with research interests related to biomedical informatics, including clinical informatics, research informatics, medical informatics and public health informatics. Moffitt is affiliated with the University of South Florida and a University appointment is available in the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor as applicable. Methodological research in informatics is also expected.
- The Department currently has 14 faculty and approximately 25 staff engaged in a wide range of statistical and bioinformatics research and collaborations on clinical and biological studies in cancer including novel therapeutic and drug discoveries, prognostic and predictive biomarker developments, chemoprevention, high throughput genomics, proteomics, next-generation sequencing data-based investigations, epidemiological studies, comparative effectiveness research, clinical trial designs, and personalized medicine studies. Many of these projects draw upon Moffitt's Total Cancer Care initiative, which provides access to a comprehensive set of clinical and molecular data on a large number of cancer patients.
The Ideal Candidate
- We seek candidates who can contribute to the many current clinical studies at Moffitt, as evidenced by a history of peer-reviewed publications and involvement in grant supported research projects.
- Outstanding record doing team science with experience in natural language processing and data mining / algorithm development using electronic health record (EHR) data.
- Experience with Cerner's electronic medical record (EMR) system is preferred.
- Communicate clearly and openly.
- Collaborate on a variety of cancer clinical and hospital-related research projects
- Build relationships to promote a collaborative environment.
- Lead a cross-departmental, multi-disciplinary team to develop, validate and implement algorithms to approximate disease events, such as treatment response and cancer recurrence, using combinations of clinical and administrative data.
- Lead a cross-departmental, multi-disciplinary team to develop, validate and implement natural language processing and other text-based mining tools to derive information from free text (i.e. unstructured data) within the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Serve as a critical thought leader and subject matter expert for multiple institute-wide health informatics initiatives.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in biomedical informatics, medical informatics, computer science or related field and relevant research training and experience.
- Academic rank beyond Assistant Member will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Appointment at the Associate Member rank requires a minimum of five years of experience at the Assistant Member level.
- This position is tenure-earning.